streams

streams

Friday, October 1, 2021

Scattered Attention

“Fill your thoughts with heavenly realities, and not with the distractions of the natural realm.” (Colossians 3:2 TPT) 

 

My attention span seems to have shrunk in the past decade. This absentmindedness cannot be blamed on aging. I have developed a strong craving for amusement and find myself seeking out distractions. I will plan to give my focused attention to a task, but I get pulled away by my phone. I know this is dumb. It’s like if I were at the gas station to get a fill-up, but instead of inserting the nozzle into the tank, I just looked around and sprayed gasoline in random directions. It is a complete waste of resources!

 

My attention muscles have atrophied from disuse. I have to make a concerted effort to retrain them. I need to take an inventory of all the ways I self-sabotage--of all the numbing diversions and distractions I use. Weaning myself off this steady diet of amusements will take time and discomfort. Once I have kicked this addiction to diversions, I must learn to fill my thoughts with heavenly realities and not with the distractions of the natural realm.


No comments:

Post a Comment