streams

streams

Monday, March 28, 2022

Awareness of God


“They’ve refused for so long to deal with God that they’ve lost touch not only with God but with reality itself. They can’t think straight anymore.” (Ephesians 4:18 MSG)



I am vaguely aware that air surrounds me, and without it I could not live. However, I breathe in and out thousands of times without thinking about it. I have felt the air on my skin. I have experienced the absence of air underwater. Theoretically, I know about the chemical composition of air, how it is essential for my body and for all life on earth. Yet, 99% of the time, I am unconscious of its presence. 


I can be similarly oblivious to God’s presence. Theoretically, I know God is all around and sustains all life. Yet, most of the time, I am unconscious of His nearness. Why?


“For the hearts of these people are hardened, and their ears cannot hear, and they have closed their eyes—so their eyes cannot see, and their ears cannot hear, and their hearts cannot understand, and they cannot turn to me, and let me heal them.” (Matthew 13:15 NLT)


My mind is clouded with all sorts of things that numb my sensitivity. There are so many important concerns, significant relationships, enjoyable activities, and fun distractions. In addition, I like to imagine that I am self-sufficient and the master of my own destiny. Little details like my dependence on air complicate this narrative.  If I remain in this fog long enough, apathy and ignorance harden my spirit. I lose touch with the reality that surrounds me. 


Spirit of Truth, open all our senses, so that we may perceive you, and you may heal us. 


No comments:

Post a Comment