streams

streams

Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Relying on Feelings

 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.” (Proverbs 3:5-6 NLT)


The above proverb is quoted so often that it has become overfamiliar to me. I read it several times a week in my devotional books. I didn’t think there was anything new in it for me to understand. I was wrong. 


As I study and pray, I try to write scripture down in my own words or in a prayer form. As I was rewriting Proverbs 3:5, I changed one word, and it opened up a fresh perspective for me. 


Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Do not rely on your FEELINGS. Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take. 


Feelings are important and valid. It is good to express and experience your emotions. However, feelings do not always align with truth; thus, they can be an unreliable tool for navigation. For example, if I am driving to a new place, it would be unwise to decide my route based on feelings. When I am at a crossroad, I do not turn left or right based on what feels good.  I know there is a better way. I rely on maps, directions, or GPS. In the same way, it is good to feel and express my emotions but not necessarily act on them. Instead, I must learn to rely on God in every decision--big or small. 


Lord, teach me to trust in You rather than relying on my feelings. I want to seek Your purpose in everything I do. Show me which way to turn in every circumstance.


No comments:

Post a Comment