streams

streams

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Finding Joy


“The hope of those who do right is joy and celebration, but the only prospect for those who do wrong is futility.” (Proverbs 10:28 VOICE)

 

It was a cold day for a run. The wind chill was well below zero. I was dressed in multiple layers from head to toe. The only part that was not covered was a small sliver of skin on my forehead. As I ran the first mile, I was fixated on the cold wind hitting my forehead. Even though the rest of my body was warm, all I could think about was my forehead. By the second mile, I made a conscious decision to focus on all that was good. I thanked God for all my warm running gear, my health, the sunshine, the blue sky, the safe roads, the solitude, and the quietness of a winter morning. By the time I finished my run, I felt joyful. 

 

I have a penchant for fixating on the one thing that isn’t going well while taking all the other things for granted. I understand the futility of this habit. Lately I have been trying to redirect my attitude. I consciously cultivate gratitude in my heart. This helps me appreciate all that is good. 

 

I’ve also realized the importance of finding joy in daily routines: the feeling of accomplishment after my daily run, the warmth of a hot shower, the satisfaction of chopping up vegetables for a salad, the comfort of a good book, the softness of my dog’s fur, the gratification of a full stomach, the gladness I feel when getting messages from loved ones, the solace of knowing my family is safe and healthy. If any of these little pleasures were taken away for a day, I would be miserable. Appreciating these daily delights brings me joy.  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment