streams

streams

Friday, March 4, 2022

Daniel Fast

“During those days, I, Daniel, went into mourning over Jerusalem for three weeks. I ate only plain and simple food, no seasoning or meat or wine.” (Daniel 10:2-3 MSG)

I have written previously about using three-week intervals to set aside time to pray and change habits. This time, I would like to share my personal experience with fasting. 

I was going through an intensely stressful phase. My anxiety led to insomnia, exhaustion, and a loss of appetite. I sensed there were spiritual elements to what was happening and that prayer and fasting were necessary. I had heard of others doing a three-week Daniel Fast, but my previous experiences with fasting were not ideal. However, I decided to give it a try. 

There are many variations on the Daniel Fast. My main goal during this fast was to eat for nourishment rather than for entertainment. I tried to only consume ‘plain and simple food, with no seasoning or meat or wine.’  I have been a vegetarian for the last few years, and I don’t drink alcohol--so that part was easy. The main changes I made to my diet were cutting out caffeine, processed foods, sugar, yeasted breads, eggs, most dairy, potatoes, and refined starches. I also reduced my salt intake. I ate mostly whole grains, vegetables, beans, fruits, and nuts. 

The caffeine withdrawal during the first few days was difficult. Other than that, I felt okay. I didn’t feel the usual irritability and weakness that I had felt during previous fasts. Within the first two weeks, I lost weight, and my blood pressure became normal. 

I sensed that God was helping with the fast, reducing cravings not just for my favorite foods, but also for regular diversions. Instead, I was drawn to pray and commune with God. I felt a strong urge to pray for protection against evil. After the three weeks were over, I could see progress on many of my prayers, but no firm resolutions.  I was unsure if I should continue fasting. The health and spiritual benefits had been miraculous, and I felt hesitant to go back to my old ways. I asked God for a confirmation of some sort, something I would recognize clearly. It came in an unexpected way. I watched a documentary about the benefits of a whole-food, plant-based lifestyle. I am going to try this for Lent and see how it goes. 

Jesus, direct me in every decision. Guide me in what to consume, what to avoid, and how to live each day. Regulate my desires in alignment with Your will. Filter out any temptations. Keep me on the wholesome path at all times.  


No comments:

Post a Comment