streams

streams

Monday, March 14, 2022

Inner Fulfillment


 “‘Have faith in me, and you will have life-giving water flowing from deep inside you, just as the Scriptures say.’ Jesus was talking about the Holy Spirit, who would be given to everyone that had faith in him.” (John 7:38-39 VOICE)

 

I heard the following anecdote in a sermon by Patricia Shirer. During severe droughts, most of the ponds in her area would dry up--except for one pond that was fed by a natural spring. She used this illustration to make a point. External sources cannot provide true fulfillment. Only an internal spring can continually nourish us. 

 

This story made an impression on me. We have two ponds in our neighborhood that are filled by surface runoff water. These retention ponds were dug at low points in the terrain for the purpose of flood management. The water level goes up and down depending on the weather. The water is polluted by agricultural chemicals and debris from nearby fields and roads. I don’t even let my dog swim in these ponds. 

 

If my life were a pond, what kind would it be? I would much rather be a natural-spring pond than one filled by surface runoff. However, I notice my sense of satisfaction goes up and down depending on my external circumstances. This is a sure sign that I am attempting to fill myself with whatever comes my way. Why do I settle for unsustainable, polluted water when I have access to life-giving water flowing from deep inside of me?

 

Lord Jesus, You promised an internal spring of living water for those who trust in You. Teach me to access the Indwelling Spirit. Fill my soul to overflow. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment