streams

streams

Thursday, March 10, 2022

Troubled Times


 “Though the fig tree does not blossom, and there is no fruit on the vines,

Though the yield of the olive fails, and the fields produce no food,

Though the flock is cut off from the fold, and there are no cattle in the stalls...” (Habakkuk 3:17 AMP)

 

Are there times in your life when everything seems to be going wrong and you can’t catch a break? A modern day version of the above verses would read something like this: 

 

Though the pantry is bare, and the roof is leaking

Though the cancer is back, and I am unemployed

Though my daughter is in rehab, and my mom is bed-ridden...

 

What are we supposed to do when waves of difficulties knock us down over and over? 

 

“Yet I will choose to rejoice in the LORD; I will choose to shout in exultation in the victorious God of my salvation! The Lord GOD is my strength, my source of courage, my invincible army; He has made my feet steady and sure like hinds’ feet and makes me walk forward with spiritual confidence on my high places of challenge and responsibility.”  (Habakkuk 3:18-19 AMP)

 

 

When adversities pile up like a mountain in front of us, it is natural to feel some trepidation. We have to choose between managing on our own, or depending completely on God. The path of self-reliance usually ends up in frustration and bitterness. The path of trust leads to surrender and unconditional peace.  

 

Even in troubled times, we have choices. We can choose prayer over despair. We can choose to rejoice in the Lord and praise Him. We can choose to move forward with spiritual confidence. With the Lord’s guidance, we will be able to navigate the rugged terrain. He makes us as sure-footed as wild deer. He keeps us safe, even on steep mountains. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment