streams

streams

Thursday, April 28, 2022

Carrying Crosses


“As they led Jesus away, they grabbed Simon, a man from Cyrene, as he was coming in from the country, and they put the cross on him and made him carry it behind Jesus.” (Luke 23:26 ISB)

The cross represents the sacrificial love of Jesus. On the way to his crucifixion, Jesus carried His own cross most of the way. As Jesus stumbled from all the torture, the soldiers were unsure He would pass out or die before they got Him to the designated spot. So the soldiers picked Simon of Cyrene from the crowd and made him carry the cross for a bit. 

Now, most of us who claim to follow Christ would rather not carry His cross. I, for one, am NOT a fan of pain. Yet, I am starting to see that suffering is part of being a Christ follower. I think that suffering is much harder when I resist it. If I can recognize that there may be a Divine purpose in it, even if I can’t fully understand it, the cross becomes a tiny bit more bearable.  


No comments:

Post a Comment