streams

streams

Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Dead End

“Keep your eye on the healthy soul, scrutinize the straight life; There’s a future in strenuous wholeness. But the willful will soon be discarded; insolent souls are on a dead-end street.” (Psalm 37:37-38 MSG)

I was driving to a friend’s house in a rural area. I had a vague idea where she lived, because I had been there before. I took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up on a road with a dead-end sign. I decided to see if it was an alternate way to where I wanted to go. After a while, the paved road ended, and there was a muddy field with some tire tracks. I could see a road on the other side of the field. I stopped the car and wondered if I should risk driving off-road for a bit rather than turning around. In general, I am not a risk taker, but I am also reluctant to admit mistakes. After a few moments, I came to the end of myself, swallowed my pride, and turned around. 

In this life, we all eventually make a few wrong turns and wind up on dead-end roads. Some turn around as soon as they see the signs. Some may wait until they see others in front of them turning around. Some will keep driving all the way to the end of the pavement. The really stubborn ones may decide to attempt driving off-road and get stuck in the mud. 

"The reason why many are still troubled, still making little forward progress is because they haven't yet come to the end of themselves. We're still trying to give orders, and interfering with God's work within us." - A.W. Tozer

Insolence and willfulness lead us down a long,dead-end road. As long as we imagine we are in control and can do what we want, we will ignore all signs and keep going until we get stuck in the mud. When we realize we cannot manage on our own wits and skills, we come to the end of ourselves. Healthy souls scrutinize the good life. They pursue purity and honesty. They seek strenuous wholeness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment