streams

streams

Monday, April 11, 2022

Fighting Shape


Don’t lazily slip back into those old grooves of evil, doing just what you feel like doing. You didn’t know any better then; you do now. As obedient children, let yourselves be pulled into a way of life shaped by God’s life, a life energetic and blazing with holiness. God said, ‘I am holy; you be holy.’” (1 Peter 1:13 MSG)

I enjoy the structure and discipline of marathon training. During each training season, I am extremely focused on my running goals, injury prevention, and proper nutrition. I keep track of my daily, weekly, and monthly mileage. I run long distances, speed drills, and hill repeats. I do cross-training exercises and stretches. I ramp up intensity gradually so as to prevent injury. I monitor my diet, avoiding foods that may slow me down. All of this preparation happens before the actual race day arrives. 

I have learned to apply the same level of focus and discipline in preparing for seasons of spiritual battles. This was not always the case. There was a time when I would be diligent in prayer only when I was in trouble. When things in my life settled down, I would go back to my old lackadaisical habits. This resulted in spiritual flabbiness that left me unprepared for sudden attacks. Now, I know better. I try to remain in a constant state of alertness. I am vigilant in prayer. I allow God to shape my life, yielding to  His discipline. He prepares me for battle with energy and holiness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment