streams

streams

Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Offering Sacrifice


“And I come, eager to offer a sacrifice of gratitude and call on the name of the Eternal.” (Psalm 116:17 VOICE)

The Old Testament is filled with stories about animal sacrifices. In the New Testament, there is a shift. The sacrificial death of Jesus makes animal sacrifices unnecessary. Instead, we are given new ways to offer sacrifice to God. 

“Our sacrifice is to keep offering praise to God in the name of Jesus.” (Hebrews 13:15 CEV)

We pay homage to God with our sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving. When we praise God, we acknowledge His attributes, greatness, creativity, contributions,  and authority. When we give thanks, we recognize our indebtedness. 

But why would this be called a sacrifice? 

Praise and thanksgiving take time. We may have to surrender some productivity or a few diversions so that we can focus on God. We may also have to let go of illusions of grandiosity and self-sufficiency. Offering praise to God redirects our attention. Gratitude reminds us that everything is a gift. 

Lord, I praise You for all that You are and all that You have created. I shall continually meditate on Your wonderful attributes. I am grateful for all that you have given me and all that you do for me. You are my source and sustainer. I revere You. I thank You. 


No comments:

Post a Comment