streams

streams

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Instrument of Praise

Psalm 150 directs everyone to praise God with musical instruments. I don’t play any instruments. I can use words, but that’s about it.

I have a friend who praises God through her pain and suffering. This is her instrument. She is battling cancer. She doesn’t use a lot of words to describe what she’s going through or about how God is working in her life. She simply lives a life of praise. She responds to difficult circumstances with acceptance, grace, and trust. Her attitude of joy, in the midst of suffering, surpasses all human logic. I have learned so much from watching her.

I asked her what her secret was. She said:

“I don’t know. I get up every morning and say, Lord, thank you for this day. Let me know what you want me to do today.

What I’ve observed from her life is this unwavering trust, dependence, and reliance on God. She has accepted that she is not in control, but that God is. The difference between her faith and mine is…the difference between Mt. Everest and a pimple. I say I trust in God, but then I try to rely on my own intellect or resources to fix things. I talk and write about faith, while she lives, breathes, moves in FAITH.

I never thought that pain could be an instrument of praise. Yet, the melody that comes through her suffering has influenced and inspired me more than any other. Her attitude is, in itself, an act of worship. I watch and listen while she plays her life-song unto the Lord.

“O God. God, you’ve done it all! Who is quite like you? You, who made me stare trouble in the face, Turn me around; Now let me look life in the face. I’ve been to the bottom; Bring me up, streaming with honors; turn to me, be tender to me, And I’ll take up the lute and thank you to the tune of your faithfulness, God. I’ll make music for you on a harp, Holy One of Israel. When I open up in song to you, I let out lungsful of praise, my rescued life a song.” (Psalm 71:17-24 MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment