streams

streams

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Melancholy

Although the words melancholy and depression are often used interchangeably, I think of them differently. Melancholy is a feeling of despondency. The soul is downcast, pensive, and thoughtful. Depression, on the other hand, is a prolonged clinical illness which requires treatment. When I write about sadness, melancholy, inertia, and moodiness, it shouldn’t be confused with clinical depression. So, with that disclaimer out of the way…

I’ve always liked the following verse from Philippians:
“It’s wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.” (Phil. 4:7 MSG)

Unfortunately, the only thing that displaces worry in my heart is a new worry. I tend to get agitated whenever I can’t solve a problem immediately. Worry and anxiety are my biggest barriers against intimacy with God.

“I entreat you, give no place to despondency. This is a dangerous temptation–a refined, not a gross temptation of the adversary. Melancholy contracts and withers the heart, and renders it unfit to receive the impressions of grace. It magnifies and gives a false coloring to objects, and thus renders your burdens too heavy to bear. God’s designs regarding you, and His methods of bringing about these designs, are infinitely wise.” (Madame Guyon)

Melancholy magnifies your burdens. Prayer and praise magnify God!

I frequently struggle with melancholy. The more I think about my problems, the deeper I sink into the pit of despondency and listlessness. The burden becomes heavier. I ache all over. I get worn-out under the constant pressure.

However, when I meditate on God, my heart and mind are lifted from the pit. When I consider His suffering and sacrificial death, when I acknowledge His greatness, it raises my spirit. When I think about His power, His love, His wisdom, then I am peaceful.  

I shall not enlarge my burdens; instead, my soul shall magnify the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment