streams

streams

Monday, February 18, 2013

The Gap

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.” (Proverbs 3:5 NLT)

This is a hard lesson to implement. I rely heavily on my intellect, my gut feelings, and my heart. I usually decide that whatever I feel in my gut is probably from God, or in other words, I trust my instincts. When I decide to let go of this habit and rely on God, I feel like I’m suspended between two cliffs. I haven’t quite made it to the opposite side of complete trust in God, and I haven’t completely let go of relying on my own understanding either. I’m hanging perilously in the gap.

Sometimes I’m not even sure whether I’m being controlled by fear or by trust in God. When I’m guarded about making a major decision, am I waiting on God or just hesitating due to fear?

Fear torments. Trust doesn’t. Fear condemns. Trust doesn’t.

How can I tell the difference between rational thinking and trusting God? Are they mutually exclusive? I don’t think so. I think, most of the time, the Holy Spirit works inside us, gently kneading the truth, like yeast into bread.

Below are the lyrics to one of my favorite songs about trusting God
 
Trusting You—song by Al Denson
Lord, I'm tired of hiding
Lost in all these tears
Trying to carry all this pain alone
I've been as strong as I can be
But only you can rescue me
Now I'm stepping out in faith
To fall into your sweet embrace

I'm trusting You
I'm trusting You
I'm trusting You alone

Jesus I surrender
Take me to your heart
Fill this emptiness inside of me
It's your love and nothing less
That will heal my pain and brokenness
All I have, Lord, all I am
I place my life into your hands

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweetest frame
But wholly lean on Jesus' name
On Christ the solid rock I stand
All other ground is sinking sand
All other ground is sinking sand
I'm trusting You, I'm trusting You
I'm trusting You alone

No comments:

Post a Comment