streams

streams

Friday, July 25, 2014

Serenity Bubbles

In my last post, I talked about creating little pockets of peace amidst periods of oppression. Even when we can’t escape physically, we can mentally get away to a happy place. I’d like to mention a few such moments that have lightened my load. I think of them as my own private serenity bubbles.
--I recall moments of laughter with my husband and son.
--I remember all the pretty hikes with my dog.
--I relive the sweet memory of sitting in my friend’s kitchen while she cooked me the most wonderful nurturing food and served it with pure love.
--I have a picture of an old, rickety cabin surrounded by mountains and a river. I imagine myself in this place, snuggled in peace and privacy.
--I think of how things could be worse and thank God for the blessings I have right now.
--I remind myself of witty quotes I’ve read.
--I think of times I’ve walked around Costco with good friends. (Yes, I know it’s weird, but it’s my bubble, so don’t judge!)
--I write—in my head.
--I repeat strengthening Bible verses in my mind. 

Serenity bubbles are fragile and can burst easily. Thus, I’m protective of these pleasant memories and rarely speak of them. I try not to expose them to the harshness of reality. Like heirloom glass balls, I keep them safely wrapped up in my hope chest. On difficult days, I take them out, one by one. An inexplicable calm and strength comes over me. And then…I wrap them back up and put them away securely. 

1 comment:

  1. I honestly smiled at all of your Serenity Bubbles and did LOL at Costco. I'm not alone. Admitted Costco lover of the many aisle of possibilities.

    ReplyDelete