streams

streams

Friday, September 11, 2015

Reaction > Circumstances

“I’ve learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances.” (Philippians 4:11 MSG)

As I look back over  my past circumstances, I can’t say I have always been content. I respond to positive situations with joy and gratitude. However, when faced with uncertainty or disappointment, I become fretful and sad. I also have a tendency to quickly forget the positives while dwelling on the negatives. I get caught up in the snare of circumstantial cares, and the more I struggle, the more I am trapped.

If we think of our circumstances as questions on a test, would our responses qualify us to pass? When we are faced with prolonged periods of difficulty and instability, how do we react? Do we look to our own intellect and resources to find solutions? Do we get agitated if we are not able to resolve the situation quickly? Do our emotions take over? Do we spiral into hopelessness, destructiveness, and purposelessness?

Being led by our circumstances is a lot like handing the car keys to an erratic child. No good can come of it. We can either allow our conditions to dictate our emotions and behavior, OR we can be guided by a Higher Power. When our reactions are influenced by God, we can rest assured that we are being driven by a dependable driver who knows the destination.

“God uses the reaction of your life to your circumstances to fulfill His purpose.” ( Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest)

No comments:

Post a Comment