streams

streams

Monday, September 14, 2015

Relationship > Usefulness

“The person who lives in right relationship with God does it by embracing what God arranges for him. Doing things for God is the opposite of entering into what God does for you.” (Galatians 3:11-12 MSG)

I have a strong desire to be useful. To me, any form of idleness feels like I am squandering time and opportunities. When I help others in tangibly productive ways, I feel valuable. Thus, I am eager to find meaningful ways to serve God. I’m usually too occupied with what God wants from me that I neglect to enter into what God has for me.

God has invited me to a picnic. He has picked out a great location and laid out a blanket with delicious food and refreshing drinks. He wants us to get to know each other and to enjoy each other’s company. But I am too busy showing off all the things I brought to the picnic: Look at the beautiful blanket that I crocheted and the wonderful food I cooked!  Oh, and by the way, I did see a better picnic spot on my way here. Would you mind moving Your stuff?

“You will never be able to measure fully what God will do through you if you do not have a right-standing relationship with Jesus Christ.” (Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest)

God arranges our circumstances so that we may turn to Him and get to know Him. Whatever life throws at us--if we respond with a deep assurance that God is capable and caring--then, our relationship grows more and more intimate. We measure our worth by our usefulness. However, God values relationship over all else.

No comments:

Post a Comment