streams

streams

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

God Is Present

“Your God is present among you.” (Zephaniah 3:17 MSG)

Sometimes my cell phone gets jostled around in my purse, and it accidentally dials people on my contact list without my knowledge. I continue doing whatever I’m doing--talking, walking, eating, shopping--all the while completely unaware that someone is on the other end--waiting and listening.

My prayers are a bit one-sided too. I don’t really expect to hear back from God. I talk to Him randomly, repeating requests, expressing gratitude, asking questions--all the while going about my regular day-to-day life. I’m unaware that He is listening. I’m oblivious to God’s presence. I imagine Him as far away and out of reach. And then, I wonder why my prayer life feels disconnected!

“All difficulties in prayer can be traced to one cause: praying as if God were absent.” (St. Teresa of Avila)

What if God is present? What if He is always attentive? That would change how we approached everything--the way we think, pray, live--we couldn’t carry on as usual. We would expect a response from God. We would listen carefully. We would have to be more intentional and reverent in everything.

Lord, help us to acknowledge Your presence. May we worship and honor you.

2 comments:

  1. God is always present. Spirits can be in many places at once. Too many people think of God as an old man in the sky with white hair and a white beard who can only hear one person at a time when we pray. God is an energy, not a person and He/She can hear many at one time. In my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete