streams

streams

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

This Is Not Your Project

“Thy will be done.” (Luke 11:2  KJV)

Recently, my friend Sue came over to can peppers with me. I had never canned anything before, so I was eager to learn about the process. She came over with most of the supplies and her recipe. I provided the space, some labor, and a few vessels and tools. Since this was her project, she was in charge. I mostly observed and waited for her to tell me what to do.

Many of us approach our lives as if we are in charge. We expect God to supply our needs and wants, but on our own terms. We invite Him to come into our space and help us learn. Yet, we are unwilling to relinquish control.

“The misfortune is that people wish to direct God instead of resigning themselves to be directed by Him.” (Madame Guyon)

Regrettably, many of us attempt to direct God to do our will and call it prayer. Our requests are specific and detailed--as if God can’t figure out what is best. Our lives are not our own. God is in charge. All that is required from us are some space, a few tools, and a willingness to follow instructions.

Lord, may THY will be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment