streams

streams

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The Scriptures and the Legal System

“Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her, and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.” (Mark 10:11-12 ESV)

The majority religion of a country often influences its legal system. Islamic shariah law, although not completely implemented by any country, has shaped the official laws of many nations where the majority of citizens are Muslim. According to the Pew Research Center, Christianity is still the majority religion in the U.S. as of 2014. Many Christians believe that literal interpretations of the Bible should shape the laws of our country.

In the past, Bible verses have been abused to justify slavery, war, colonization, and racism. Even in recent years, Scripture verses have often been quoted by those advocating against legalizing gay marriage. Christ said nothing about gay marriage. However, He was clear about divorce, adultery (premarital and extramarital sex), and remarriage. I wonder why Christians do not push for laws banning any of these? Why are some Bible verses taken literally as the Word of God, while others are glossed over or interpreted as no longer relevant? This seems hypocritical.

I read and study the Bible daily. It has been the most influential book in my life. It helps me understand God and His will. However, I cannot join in with those who insist on using literal interpretations of certain Scripture verses to shape our country’s laws while glossing over other verses. I understand that this viewpoint might be considered heretical in some Christian circles. So be it.

1 comment:

  1. Since Jesus taught us about forgiveness, I am trusting he forgives me for leaving a physically and mentally abusive marriage to protect my children and my lives.

    I am fairly certain He is the one who put my 2nd husband of almost 28 years and myself in our lives, to find out our parents had mutual friends, even though living many miles apart. God doesn't create coincidences. Thank you for your insight.

    ReplyDelete