streams

streams

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Direct vs. Indirect Communication

“As for me, I would speak directly to the Almighty.” (Job 13:3 NLT)

Direct communication involves telling it like it is--making straightforward statements without hidden messages or circuitous narratives. Indirect communicators often use implications, omissions, and body language to make their point. A listener is expected to read between the lines. What is unsaid is often more significant than what is said.  Intermediaries are often used to convey unpleasant information. U.S. Americans, Australians, and many Western Europeans are known to prefer direct communication, while Asian, African, Middle-Eastern, and Latin American cultures tend to prefer indirect communication.

I have been exposed to both direct and indirect styles of communication. Although I have learned to read between the lines, I much prefer to communicate openly and unambiguously. This is also how I like to pray. Thus, I am drawn to Scripture verses that directly address God. It’s wondrous to find exactly what I want to say, while at the same time knowing that others have mouthed the same words before me. This type of prayer allows me to be with God, open myself up, listen, and connect. I am strengthened and comforted by this communion--my spirit absorbed in His Spirit.

“Listen closely to my prayer, O Lord; hear my urgent cry. I will call to you whenever I’m in trouble, and you will answer me.” (Psalm 86:6-7 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment