streams

streams

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Unfaithful

“Some trust in chariots and others in horses, but we depend on the LORD our God.” (Psalm 20:7 NET)

On a sunny, calm day at the beach, you can swim in the ocean without much worry. On the off chance you might need some help, you know that the lifeguard on duty would save you. However, on a stormy day--when the waves are high, and you can’t stay afloat on your own--that confidence is tested. If I were struggling in the water, and the lifeguard swam up and offered to stay by my side while we both swam back together, I would be disappointed. My response would be: “Why didn’t you bring a boat or a jet ski? Can’t you see that I am afraid and exhausted? I don’t have the strength to swim back!” I would look around to see if I had any other options.

When we are faithful to God, we place our confidence in Him. When we place our confidence in anything else, we are being unfaithful. It’s easy to trust God when things are going well. At this point, faith is just a nebulous concept. However, in the midst of trials, when things are falling to pieces, we want certitude. We want immediate rescue, tangible results. Jesus offers compassion--He is willing to suffer with us. This is NOT what we had in mind. When we look around for other options, we are, in essence, rejecting our Savior.

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;” (Proverbs 3:5 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment