streams

streams

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Precious Peace

“Better a dry crust with peace and quiet than a house full of feasting, with strife.” (Proverbs 17:1 NIV)

Feasting and Strife--this could be the theme to many social reunions. There is always a certain amount of underlying friction and overt status seeking at these events. Everyone compares themselves to each other--who seems to be more successful, who has a better marriage, whose children are taller, who has gained weight? The food and wine are mixed with rivalry, resentment, pretentiousness, and insincerity. I have never understood why anyone would want to participate in such events. Wouldn’t it be preferable to eat a piece of toast in peace than feast with discordant people?

I will choose serenity and solitude to strife and social gatherings any day. However, external tranquility does not always ensure internal contentment. I have lain awake many nights, when all is quiet in my home--but my mind is in chaos. When my attempts to bring order to my thoughts meet with failure, I resort to prayer. I have discovered that only God can bring me true peace.

“In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, O LORD, will keep me safe.” (Psalm 4:8 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment