streams

streams

Thursday, September 29, 2016

My Sanctuary

“You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.” (Psalm 32:7 NIV)

The other night, I was having trouble sleeping.  I was anxious about a lot of things. I woke up to some unknown sound around 3 am. My husband was working the overnight shift, so I was alone in bed. I lay awake for hours, with my eyes closed, willing myself to fall back asleep. Wave after wave of negative, fearful, worrisome, pessimistic thoughts filled my head. Finally, around 5 am, I heard the following old hymn in my head:

When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

The song washed over me like a lullaby. I remembered the story behind this old hymn--how it was written by a man who had faced the death of his children and the loss of his fortune. I realized that whatever happened, even if I lost everything in this world, my essential self is hidden in Christ. I am safely tucked away in His sanctuary where He sings songs of peace over me. God is my guardian, my guide, my healer, and my provider. He has always been there for me. He will continue to be there for me. I can relax. It is well with my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment