streams

streams

Monday, March 27, 2017

Correcting Mistakes

“You can't whitewash your sins and get by with it; you find mercy by admitting and leaving them.” (Proverbs 28:13 MSG)

When I notice a pimple or under eye circles, I pull out some concealer from my makeup bag and cover it up. The blemish is still there, but it is less obvious when I look at myself in the mirror. I am hoping others don’t notice it either. Instead of camouflaging my flaws, I could try to change my diet, drink more water, or get more sleep. However, these changes would require a lot more effort; covering up is much easier.

As Christians, many of us strive to follow the teachings of Jesus. However, we stopped caring about people who seemed ‘different’ than us.  We classified them as threats to our way of life. We segregated humanity based on ethnicity, geography, and socio-economic class.   We concealed our prejudice. We whitewashed our sins rather than confronting them. We sense that this is not a solution, but we are too wrapped up in maintaining our image and justifying our attitudes to make any real changes. Somehow we lost our way. It is time to admit our mistakes, turn around, and find our way back to the path of compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment