streams

streams

Thursday, March 9, 2017

Meditation

“My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.” (Psalm 62:5 KJV)

Meditation has become popular again.  There are loads of apps that can guide you through ten minutes of meditation while you commute to work or wait to pick up your kids from school. I tried a few, just to see what everyone was talking about. Most of these programs have soothing audio instructions to focus on your breathing and observe any discomfort with a sense of detachment. I do feel more relaxed after these sessions, but something seems to be missing...

I decided I needed to customize my meditation practice in order to make it more meaningful for me. Here is what seems to work for me:
I set an alarm for fifteen minutes and turn off the ringer on my phone. I do a self-check. I go over the meaningful things I have done or left undone today. I thank God for all the opportunities and blessings. I pick a Bible verse and write it down in a journal. I repeat it slowly in my head. I write down any words or phrases that pop up. I continue visualizing, imagining, and absorbing this verse. I open up to God; I wait expectantly and listen attentively. I receive whatever He pours into my mind. I take notes. When the timer goes off, I say a prayer of thanks and consecrate myself and everything else to Him.

Lord, forgive me for the wrong that I have done and the good that I have left undone today. I’m thankful for Your presence and forgiveness. I hand over everything to You. I shall wait upon You expectantly and lean upon You confidently.

No comments:

Post a Comment