streams

streams

Friday, March 10, 2017

Dulled Senses

“Watch out! Don’t let your hearts be dulled by carousing, drunkenness, and by worries of this life.” (Luke 21:34 NLT)

Alcohol, drugs, distractions, exhaustion, materialism, ambition, pleasure, overstimulation, addictions, and illnesses can all dull our senses. All these things can impair our judgment and skew our perceptions.  We can get so fixated on one thing that everything else becomes blurry.
I am attached to many things and people, and I have a tendency to worry. Even while I am meditating, my mind starts ruminating over things about which I am irritated or anxious. I am still learning to pull my mind back from these distractions.

We cannot be occupied by the Spirit of God when we are preoccupied by our concerns. Our spiritual perception can be dulled when we are drunk with worry. When we are focused on our anxieties, our faith becomes blurry. Thus, we must aim our attention on Jesus, and let everything else become peripheral. Remove the barriers and distractions that impair your consciousness of God.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace. (Lyrics by Helen Howarth Lemmel)

No comments:

Post a Comment