streams

streams

Monday, July 31, 2017

Shine Through

“Our faces shining with the brightness of his face.” (2 Corinthians 3:18 MSG)

Last Sunday, my family and I attended a different church service than usual. As I turned around to greet those sitting behind me, I looked into the glowing face of an older woman. The light which exuded from her was internal, not the result of any cosmetics. Next, I shook the hand of a young man who was sitting near her. He seemed to have some sort of disability. I realized that this man was the lady’s son.

I have been thinking about the glowing lady and her son this past week. Despite the obvious difficulties she faces, the Spirit of Christ within her shines through. What is her secret? Could it be that she trusts God to take care of her and her son?

I, too, have a young adult son. I worry about him regularly--When will he graduate from college and be able to support himself?  Will he mature into a kind, sensible, responsible man some day? Does my constant worrying suppress God’s spirit from shining through? I want to be free of these barriers of fear and worry. I want to trust God completely, so that I too may shine with the brightness of His spirit.


“To trust when there is no cause for fear is but the name of faith, but to be reliant upon God when occasions for alarm are abundant and pressing is the conquering faith of God’s elect.” (Charles Spurgeon)

No comments:

Post a Comment