streams

streams

Friday, August 16, 2019

What Now?

“Now go! I will be with you as you speak, and I will instruct you in what to say.” (Exodus 4:12 NLT)

Moses noticed the heavy burdens of the Israelites. He heard God’s call to help the vulnerable. Yet, Moses was reluctant to step forward and speak up for the powerless. He felt ill-equipped. He didn’t know what to say or do to change entrenched cultural attitudes. Self-doubt and fear held him back. BUT God called Moses out on his excuses and objections. HE told Moses to quit stalling and get going. God would provide the right words, contacts, and directions at each step. 

The scapegoating of immigrants for all of society’s current problems, the endemic prejudice against people of color, and the indifference of the privileged to the plight of the marginalized--is hard to ignore. Yet, I am reluctant to stick my neck out and become a target for hate. My desire for comfort and security makes me want to keep my head down and look away--to be a model citizen who never challenges the system. I am aware that my complacency makes me a complicit participant in society’s evils, an accessory to the crime. 

Self-doubt and fear, camouflaged as humility, hold me back from speaking out against injustice. I hear a voice deep within me, calling me to set aside my excuses, to quit stalling and get moving. I have no idea what I’m supposed to do as one individual. I am ill-equipped and powerless against the system. BUT GOD is not. 

Lord, you know that I lack courage. Honestly, I wish You would bug someone else about all of this and leave me alone! However, I am sure You have your reasons. I shall trust You to provide me with whatever is needed to participate in Your plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment