streams

streams

Friday, January 17, 2020

A Grateful Perspective

“Stay alert, with your eyes open in gratitude.” (Colossians 4:2 MSG)

As a runner, some part of my body is regularly sore or injured. As soon as I wake up, I do a mental scan of my body. I tend to fixate on whatever is ailing rather than all that is working. As I go about my day, I am aware of every niggle and cramp. I complain to my running friends, because most of them can relate to what I am going through. It is not that I don’t appreciate my body and its ability to function; I do...but it is not my default setting. What if I took an inventory of all that is well and good? 

Gratitude takes intentional attentiveness and reinforcement. There are several steps to developing a grateful perspective:
  1. Acknowledgement--Vigilantly look out for what is good and right. Be fully conscious of every blessing.  
  2. Appreciation--Recognize the value of all that you have. Be thankful.
  3. Expression--Reveal gratitude through your words and actions. 
  4. Change in mindset--Continual practice develops new ways of thinking. Learn to scan your life and notice all that is good.
Gratefulness is not merely a variation of positive thinking or optimism. It is not a denial of pain. Instead, it is a refocusing, a reaffirmation--that even in the midst of suffering, we can be attentive and develop a perspective of gratitude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment