streams

streams

Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Active Clothes

“So, chosen by God for this new life of love, dress in the wardrobe God picked out for you: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline.” (Colossians 3:12 MSG)

Do clothes make a man or woman? People are often judged by their external appearance, and the opinions of others can affect you. However, defining yourself or others by clothes rather than behavior is superficial. There was a time when I chose my clothes and accessories based on how they made me look and feel: attractive, colorful, fashionable, admirable. I paid a lot of attention to presentation but not much to practicality. Although I still own most of these clothes, I find myself buying and wearing more activewear lately. These days, ease of movement, comfort, durability, and affordability are what I want from clothes.  

The wardrobe God picks out for us is also active: compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline. These are not passive adornments that make you look good in front of others. These deep-seated qualities require intentional effort. Compassion leads us to suffer with those who are struggling. Kindness involves empathy and consideration. Humility allows us to yield to God. Quiet strength comes from a gentle spirit with firm convictions. Discipline brings training and accountability to do what is right and good. Clothed in these virtues, we are outfitted perfectly, according to God’s purpose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment