streams

streams

Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Clean Home


“Now let’s search out our thoughts and ways and return to the Eternal.” (Lamentations 3:40 VOICE)

Every time I walk in the door of my home, I track in some sort of unwanted debris. Dry leaves and grass clippings are big enough to notice on the floor.  Small particles of dirt, on the other hand, are unnoticeable. I try to wipe my shoes on the doormat. I also check the bottoms of my shoes for stuck-on mud. If the bottom of a shoe cannot be wiped clean easily, I will wash and scrub it before I bring it indoors. It takes a great deal of vigilance to keep my home clean. 

Every time I am exposed to social expectations, I track in vacuous debris into my mind. My ideas are influenced by my environment. What is important? Am I beautiful, successful, and respectable? What makes life relevant and meaningful? I have to examine my thoughts regularly. How did I arrive at my current viewpoints? Are they my own or shaped by others? Do they fit the new data points of information that I have? Why am I doing what I am doing? Are my intentions good? Am I motivated by being right or doing the right thing? Like stuck-on mud on the bottom of a shoe, some beliefs are difficult to get rid of. These require intense scrubbing. It takes a great deal of contemplation, evaluation, and vigilance to keep our interior lives clean. Let us search out our thoughts and our ways and return to the Eternal.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment