streams

streams

Tuesday, December 22, 2020

New Beginnings


“He brought us out of our old ways of living to a new beginning through the washing of regeneration.” (Titus 3:5 MSG)

A few months ago, I bought a new car. It was the exact model and color as my old car. Since my old car was still drivable, I didn’t sell it. The new car had many technological advances and safety features that my old car did not have. All the bells and whistles felt a bit disorienting to me. For the first few weeks after I bought the new car,  I kept driving the old car because it felt comfortable. 

“New beginning is intrinsically disorienting and anguishing; it builds on the wreckage of what has been outgrown but not yet relinquished.” (Cynthia Bourgeault )

Starting over can be unsettling. The temptation to sit in the ashes of burnt hopes can be overwhelming. It is distressing to let go of the old ways, even when those beliefs and behaviors are no longer viable. Harsh realities force us to reevaluate all that we hold dear.  Relinquishment is requisite to regeneration. Recognize that transitions are often discombobulating.  Allow yourself and others extra margins. Take the time to pick through the wreckage for valuable lessons. Grieve if need be. Be as gentle as you can, but try not to remain stuck in the past. Take small steps forward.  New beginnings can be built on demolished dreams.


No comments:

Post a Comment