streams

streams

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Recreation


“There was such a swirl of activity around Jesus, with so many people coming and going, that they were unable to even eat a meal. So Jesus said to his disciples, ‘Come, let’s take a break and find a secluded place where you can rest a while.’” (Mark 6:31 TPT)

I recently read a news article about how ‘recreational shopping’ was rising in popularity. This phrase caught my attention. I had not thought much about the word ‘recreation’ or its origin before, but I decided to look it up. The word comes from the Latin recreatio meaning to create again or renew. The concept of recreation was originally meant to be restful and restorative. These days, many of us equate recreation with amusement, not rest. We search for distractions. Vacations involve more coming and going. Leisure is filled with a swirl of activity. 

I must confess that many of my go-to recreational activities are not calming. I imitate the behaviors of others around me. I engage in intense physical exercise. I read the news.  I watch fictional TV shows that portray suffering, violence, injustice, crime. I get upset over things I have no control over. Like a car engine that is revved while idle, it simply wastes energy. Even though I know my habits are counterproductive, I continue to repeat them. I go through phases of healthy practices. I pull back. I seek out solitude. I contemplate. I intentionally do less. However, after a short while, I find myself sliding back into familiar patterns of behavior. I go back to seeking out distractions that create nothing but more agitation. 

What are your preferred forms of recreation? Are they restful? Do you feel renewed afterward? Are you able to stick with healthy changes that may go against the grain?


2 comments:

  1. Going out for dinner with my husband and not having to cook or clean up. Just sitting there talking, holding hands and being served with a smile.
    Reading.
    Believe it or not, cleaning relieves my stress level.
    Meditating.

    ReplyDelete