streams

streams

Thursday, December 31, 2020

Property Rights


“Never move a long-standing boundary line or attempt to take land that belongs to the fatherless.” (Proverbs 23:10 TPT)

One night, I was standing in my yard, looking up at the dark sky speckled with a million stars. Suddenly, a weird image popped into my mind: a Native American woman with her hair blowing in the wind. I was reminded of indigenous people all over the world who had been displaced to accommodate the modern way of life. 

These days, land is property. The owner is allowed to sell it for personal profit or do anything he wants with it. My home sits on land that was once occupied by the Bah-Kho-Je tribe of Native Americans. Between 1830-1847, the U.S. government forced most of the indigenous people off their ancestral lands and onto reservations. Even though I was not alive during these heinous acts, I have personally benefited from them. I am a participant in the system of injustice. I am complicit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment