streams

streams

Monday, December 28, 2020

Conservation and Preservation


Opposition to truth cannot be excused on the basis of ignorance, because from the creation of the world, the invisible qualities of God’s nature have been made visible, such as his eternal power and transcendence. He has made his wonderful attributes easily perceived, for seeing the visible makes us understand the invisible. So then, this leaves everyone without excuse.” (Romans 1:20 TPT)

Ever since I read Henry David Thoreau’s Walden Pond, I have dreamed about buying a large tract of land with some timber, pasture, and a pond. I envision a log cabin in the middle, a large garden to grow food, and clearing a trail through the woods for my personal use. In this fantasy, I see myself as capable of owning and managing my natural surroundings responsibly.

I have come to recognize my ignorance and hubris.

Conservation is the management of nature to benefit humans. It assumes that the earth and everything in it were made for human pleasure. Preservation is the protection of nature from human use. It assumes that all of God’s creation is inherently valuable, whether or not it benefits humans.  Native Americans, unlike most of us, saw humanity as part of nature and thus, treated it with reverence and humility. They did not view nature as something that needed to be conquered and controlled. 

The invisible qualities of God’s nature have been made visible in creation. The earth and everything in it are the expression of His eternal power and transcendence. He has made his wonderful attributes easily perceivable--for seeing the visible makes us understand the invisible. Opposition to truth cannot be excused on the basis of ignorance.


No comments:

Post a Comment