streams

streams

Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Responsibility in Relationships


“The child does not share the guilt of the parent, nor the parent the guilt of the child. If you live upright and well, you get the credit; if you live a wicked life, you’re guilty as charged.” (Ezekiel 18:20 MSG)

Responsible dog ownership involves keeping your dog safe and healthy by training, feeding, grooming, etc. It also means keeping your dog from causing harm to others. Whenever I take my dog out anywhere, I put him on a leash and make sure that he doesn’t disturb passersby. If he poops in a neighbor’s yard, I clean it up. I make sure he is up-to-date on his vaccines. I can be responsible for my dog, because I have some control over his actions. Society does not expect me to give my dog free choice. I can keep my dog on a leash, contain him in a crate, put a muzzle on him if he is prone to biting, and even euthanize him if he hurts people. 

Unlike dogs, humans are given the freedom to make choices for themselves. Even though you may ‘feel’ responsible for the consequences of the choices others make, you are not culpable. You can use what influence you have, but you cannot control how others behave. If your elderly parent with poor vision refuses to stop driving, or if your brother cheats on his wife, or your adult child gets into debt, or your best friend becomes an alcoholic--there is only so much power you have over the situation. Unless you have complete control over another human, you cannot feel guilty about the consequences of their lifestyle choices. 


No comments:

Post a Comment