streams

streams

Monday, December 7, 2020

Winter


“He directs the snow to fall on the earth and tells the rain to pour down. Then everyone stops working so they can watch his power. The wild animals take cover and stay inside their dens.” (Job 37:6-8 NLT)

Winter in Iowa is intense. It can be a prolonged season of dark days, bone-chilling temperatures, heavy snow, slick ice, and blustery winds. Bare trees and leafless shrubs remain dormant. Birds fly south. Rabbits and small rodents burrow deep holes to stay warm. Bugs disappear. Human activity is also limited. Winter mandates a slower pace, a cessation of striving. 

When I first moved to Iowa, I resented and resisted the cold winter months. I grumbled and complained. I fantasized about moving to a warmer climate. I took vacations to tropical locations. Out of all the winter aggravations, icy roads were what I loathed the most.  Running on slippery roads led to falls. Driving anywhere could be treacherous. For a person like me who craves balance and control at all times, winter can be humbling.  

 After two decades of living here, I have learned to appreciate the rhythms of the seasons. In spring, I plant seeds. In summer, I water. In autumn, I harvest. In winter, I rest, wait, study, and mend. There are lessons in each phase of life. Every time I try to escape, to get away from adversity, I short-circuit the training process. Literally and figuratively, cycles of growth and stagnation are necessary. Progress is not linear. I accept this now. I can’t say I look forward to winter. I probably never will.  Yet, I have recognized that God can use everything for His purpose, if I am willing to surrender to Him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment