streams

streams

Friday, December 4, 2020

Having Fun


“A joyful, cheerful heart brings healing to both body and soul.” (Proverbs 17:22 TPT)

For many years, I incorrectly assumed that I did not know how to have fun. I would observe how other people played. Most everyone seemed to like eating out, traveling, playing games, having adventures, going to amusement parks, arts and crafts, shopping, and spending time with family and friends. Drinking alcohol in groups always seemed like a popular activity. Watching, playing, and talking about sports was another crowd favorite. Although I participated with others in some of these activities over the years, I always felt like an outside observer. 

According to research done by Dr. Rene Proyer, there are four types of playful adults: 

  1. Other-directed--people who like to fool around with friends and acquaintances. 

  2. Light-hearted--people who regard their whole life as a type of game.

  3. Intellectual--people who like to play with thoughts and ideas.

  4. Whimsical--people who tend to be interested in strange and unusual things and are amused by small day-to-day observations. 

My ideas on how to have fun are different from most people I know. I enjoy reading, writing, and figuring things out. Learning new things makes me happy. I like to discuss and parse ideas with others, especially with my family and friends. I find statistical graphs exciting. It’s hard to describe the thrill I feel in a well-constructed sentence, whether it was written by me or someone else.  Making a list and crossing things off as I do them brings me pleasure. I have non-nerdy fun too. On a nice autumn day, I relish being outdoors. I like taking pictures of nature. I find great satisfaction in growing vegetables and finding new ways to cook them. I find puzzles, coloring books, word games, and music relaxing. I listen to podcasts while I run. I can idle away hours watching TV with my husband in the evenings. Indulging in junk food makes me giddy. 

There are a myriad of ways to have fun. Perhaps, like me, you play differently than others. That doesn’t mean you are dull. Do not accept that label for yourself. Do not be apologetic for who you are. Affirm your individuality. Figure out what you enjoy. Make time for whatever you find interesting, relaxing, and amusing. Heal your body and mind with joy. 

(Dr. Rene Proyer’s article in the journal “Personality and Individual Differences)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment