streams

streams

Thursday, February 11, 2021

Challenging Beliefs


Let the evildoers be at their worst and the morally filthy continue in their depravity—yet the righteous will still do what is right, and the holy will still be holy.” (Revelations 22:11 TPT)

I have been studying the Book of Revelations for the past few months. I have read many interpretations, commentaries, fictional stories, and extrapolations of this part of the Bible. One thing I am struck by is how everyone believes they are on the side of Good and the opposition is Evil. Not a single person ever believes they are doing evil. I bet Hitler, the Nazi soldiers, those who commit genocide, rapists, racists, those who incite violence--all of them BELIEVE they are on the side of good. This made me realize that what we BELIEVE does not equal TRUTH. 

I believed human beings were basically decent except for a few bad eggs. I believed that people who knew better would do better. I thought that what I believed was true. Despite evidence to the contrary, I still don't want to let go of my "beliefs"--why? Because if I can't see myself and other 'believers' as on the side of good fighting the bad guys, then that shatters everything I believe in! Challenging my long-held beliefs and identity is discombobulating. Thus, I try to either numb myself or distract myself.  I look away. I busy myself with my own problems. I tell myself to mind my own business. I convince myself that evil has always been present, that I am powerless to change anything, and all this is God’s mess to fix. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment