streams

streams

Monday, February 8, 2021

One Good Thing


“Learn to do good...” (Isaiah 1:17 NLT)

A few months ago, I started spending a few minutes each evening examining what I had done and left undone during the day. The list of leftover chores, failures, and messes always seemed to pop up in my mind without effort. The good things, on the other hand, required active searching and acknowledging. 

Most of us tend to dwell on our deficiencies. This can be helpful if we learn something from our missteps and attempt to change our habits. However, mere self-flagellation is unproductive. Acknowledging positive choices or blessings can be uplifting. It can also teach you to intentionally do good. 

I have learned to do at least one good thing every morning. It doesn’t have to be earth-shattering, but something that I know to be constructive. I pause during my day to notice minor blessings. I search for opportunities to encourage or help. I celebrate the accomplishments of others. 

I am keenly aware of the  suffering and injustice in this world. I am not suggesting that we gloss over any of it with a veneer of positive thinking. We may not have the power to make sweeping changes that have global impact. Yet, all of us can do one good thing daily.


No comments:

Post a Comment