streams

streams

Friday, February 5, 2021

Goal Setting


“Within your heart you can make plans for your future, but the Lord chooses the steps you take to get there.” (Proverbs 16:9 TPT)

The dream of someday running a marathon had been secretly buried in my heart for decades. I would run shorter distances, but 26.2 miles seemed too big of a goal. There were too many hurdles: lack of time, lack of athleticism, knee pain, other commitments, etc. It wasn’t until my late forties that I finally found a coach who helped me to get past my mental blocks. He gave me a training plan and held me accountable. He pushed me to do more than I imagined I could. He taught me to embrace discomfort. In the last three years, I’ve run six marathons and an ultramarathon. These distances do not scare me anymore. I know it will require training, sacrifice, commitment, and pain. However, I also know I can get through it with some direction and accountability.

Now I use the lessons I learned from marathon training to approach other types of goals. I want to be authentic, healthy, circumspect, intentional, resilient, bold, empathetic, and empowering. I yearn to understand Truth and express it. I hope to grow in self-acceptance and gratitude. I desire justice, goodness, and fairness. I do NOT want anyone to suffer--but if there is suffering, I hope it is never squandered. 

God has placed these desires within my heart. I have been given a lifetime to achieve these goals. I am unsure what course the Lord will choose to get me there. But this I know--I need daily instructions and accountability. I have to work toward my goals in small, consistent steps. Procrastination, distraction, and discouragement are hurdles I must overcome. I must keep my eyes focused on the goal, fight the good fight, finish the full course, and keep my heart full of faith. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment