streams

streams

Tuesday, February 23, 2021

The Luxury of Solitude


“Whenever you pray, go into your innermost chamber and be alone with Father God.” (Matthew 6:6 TPT)

Open concept floor plans have been popular for a few decades. Homes with few walls allow family and friends to be in separate areas and still be able to socialize. Yet, there are a few downsides to living spaces with few walls or doors. There can be a lack of privacy and quiet. It is harder to focus in the midst of hubbub. Smaller rooms are more energy efficient and easier to heat in the winter and cool in the summer. Defined spaces can also feel orderly and calming. 

My home has an open concept floor plan. I can be in the kitchen cooking and talk to other family members in the living room. This setup works well for socializing. It wasn’t until recently that I started appreciating rooms with doors. These days, my bedroom is where I go to think. I can still hear sounds from the living room, but visual and social distractions are minimized. I close the door and draw the drapes over the windows. I sit upright in my bed. I breathe in God’s presence. I read scripture when I feel the urge to do so.  I write down whatever comes to me. I pray silently. I thank the Lord for the luxuries of privacy, quiet, and solitude. 


No comments:

Post a Comment