streams

streams

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Freaking Out

“When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Silence! Be still!” Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm. Then he asked them, “Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?” (Mark 4:39-40 NLT)

Here is my version of this story:
I am facing some challenges. The circumstances are stormy and unpredictable. Life seems like a boat that is about to capsize any moment. I am agitated, and Jesus seems to be asleep at the stern. I call out for help. He seems unconcerned that I am about to drown.

When he finally wakes up, He responds with the following question: Why are you freaking out? Don’t you trust ME? Do you not have confidence in ME?

My response: That is a totally unfair question! I have faith in You, Jesus--BUT, maybe you could respond a bit quicker? I do have confidence in Your abilities, but sometimes I’m not so sure of Your plans. Plus, I don’t trust humanity. You gave us ‘free will’--which leaves a lot of room for everyone to mess up.

Then, I realize that Jesus can influence nature--both external and internal. If He can alter the wind, rain, and the waves--He can also change individuals. He is the Redeemer--and no person or situation is unredeemable. Thus, I need to quit freaking out. Instead, I have to remain confident in Jesus. Even if my life is overturned, God can use that for His purposes.  And I have to learn to be okay with that.

2 comments: