streams

streams

Friday, July 3, 2015

The Critic

“Don’t pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults— unless, of course, you want the same treatment. That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging.” (Matthew 7:-1-2 MSG)

What is the difference between discernment and judgmentalism? Discernment allows us to recognize truth; judgmentalism allows us to criticize others and feel superior. A discerning spirit is able to distinguish between good and evil, right and wrong. A critical spirit hones in on what is wrong in every person and in every situation. Discernment and judgmentalism are so closely related that both characteristics are often present in the same individuals.  

Unfortunately, I am one of these individuals. For every spoonful of discernment, I have pots full of judgmentalism. As I get older, I have learned to conceal my criticisms; however, I am still thinking these thoughts, whether I express them or not. And my critical spirit has boomeranged. I have become quite self-critical. As I judge others for their faults, I sense my own deficiencies.

I now recognize that we are all a big mess--just in different ways. We are like those animals that are covered in black sludge after an oil spill. Some can no longer fly; some can no longer swim; some can no longer grow. None can clean themselves or their environment. They need external help.

Similarly, humanity cannot clean itself up. Grace is the only effective solution to this mess. Grace dissolves our iniquities. Grace heals the critical spirit. Grace neutralizes sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment