streams

streams

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Good Tenants

“You may think you have cleaned out the junk from your lives and gotten ready for God, but you weren’t hospitable to my kingdom message and now all the devils are moving back in.” (Matthew 12:45 MSG)

One of my friends owns a few apartment units that she leases to renters. She has had to evict several clients because of various issues, so now she is very selective about who she is willing to allow on her property. When a unit becomes available, she cleans it out completely and makes necessary repairs and updates. Then she waits. She may put the word out through her family and friends, but she doesn’t advertise or put out any signs in front of the building. She knows from experience that the wrong tenant can wreak havoc. So she keeps her units ready and her eyes and ears open.

I have always thought that my mind is similar to an apartment complex with many units. In the past, I have not been careful about who or what I’ve allowed to occupy this space. I have experienced damage and loss, because I was hasty to fill any vacancy immediately. Emptiness seemed unprofitable. Thus, I always stuffed my mind indiscriminately--even if it was with fillers and busyness. These days, I am more selective. I wait--staying alert and vigilant at all times--screening every thought, attitude, idea, and opportunity. I listen for the recommendations of the Spirit of Truth. I stay ready, waiting expectantly for God’s purpose to occupy my life.

Lord, clean the junk out of our lives and make us ready for Your Light, Your Word, Your Meaning, Your Purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment