streams

streams

Friday, November 25, 2016

Seek the Giver

“Seek the LORD and his strength; seek his presence continually!” (Psalm 105:4 ESV)
When I was younger, I used to seek out friends who were fun, ambitious, clever, and successful. I aspired to be more like them. Being around them made me feel good about myself. As I grew older, I was drawn to different kinds of people--devoted mothers, people of sincere faith, and those who espoused simplicity and authenticity. Even though my values had changed, I was still looking for friends who could help me become who I wanted to be. I was more fixated on what my friends had to offer than on who they were as individuals. This realization was quite upsetting. I was not as good a friend as I thought. I resolved to change. These days, I focus more on the spirit of each person I meet, apart from the blessings they bring into my life. I seek to know their essence, to understand who they are apart from how they relate to me.
My relationship with God has also changed. I used to focus more on what God could provide and less on who God is. My needs were numerous and pressing. My prayer life consisted mainly of petitions. Getting to know God was secondary.  This realization was quite upsetting. I felt convicted to change. I asked God’s help.
Lord, teach me to trust You for WHO YOU ARE, not just for what You can do for me.

1 comment:

  1. I honestly believe it is a part of maturing and realizing that if we listen, watch, observe, we begin to see the Miracles of God's love everywhere. It is a lesson in learning to seek out things to be grateful for. The Kings of Gratitude being God and Jesus, who died for our sins for which we should have the greatest Gratitude of all.

    ReplyDelete