streams

streams

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Halloween Costumes

“Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith.” (1 Peter 5:8-9 NLT)
Every Halloween, the neighborhood kids come to trick-or-treat at our house. Same kids, different costumes. When they were younger, they used to wear cute costumes and carry little plastic pumpkins to collect their candy. As they got older, they started showing up in scary costumes, with large garbage bags to hold their loot.  
Recently a wise friend mentioned how we all face the same issues, over and over, in different forms. I recognized the truth in her statement. Every year, my struggles show up at my front door in slightly different costumes, demanding more and more from me. Initially these weaknesses seemed harmless, but now they have grown to be intimidating. They started off asking for very little, but every year they demand more and more.
Most of my issues can be distilled down to a core weakness: lack of complete confidence in God. This puts me in the position of having to fight my demons on unstable ground. Without firm footing, I am doomed to repeat the same mistakes over and over again.
Lord, teach me how to stay alert, recognize recurring issues, stand firm in faith, and defend against the adversary. Help me to have complete confidence in You.

No comments:

Post a Comment