streams

streams

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Have a God Day

“Today is my day to be a guest in your home.” Zacchaeus scrambled down out of the tree, hardly believing his good luck, delighted to take Jesus home with him.” (Luke 19:5-6 MSG)
In our family, we have two levels of cleaning: weekly cleaning and cleaning for guests.  The other day, my husband mentioned that we should look at the house from a ‘guest point of view’ even when we aren’t having anyone over. We have gotten used to certain things over time, and they no longer bother us too much: dust on shelves, shoes near the door, mail on the coffee table, cobwebs in the basement, etc. However, when we know guests are coming over, suddenly we notice all these areas we have neglected.
If Jesus were to be a guest in our lives today, how would we prepare?
When I look at my day from a godly perspective, the main issue I notice is a tendency toward indulgence. Nothing extraordinary...just the usual stuff that most people do: eating mindlessly, wasting time online, allowing inefficient thoughts to influence my mood, etc. I tolerate these habits, because they are gratifying to some degree. I am aware that my life is not as it should be, but I let things slide.
Clearing the clutter of indulgence requires discipline. We cannot continue catering to every mood and whim. We are in training to be disciples, and our daily regimen must reflect that goal. We have to be prepared to receive Christ and others He brings along with Him.
Lord, help us to be ready, stay focused, and have a God day.

No comments:

Post a Comment