streams

streams

Monday, January 16, 2017

Pointless Discussions

“Avoid worthless, foolish talk that only leads to more godless behavior.” (2 Timothy 2:16 NLT)

I like silence when I am alone, but I am uncomfortable with it when I am with others. It feels rude, so I usually fill up the gaps with some sort of conversation. The older I get, the more hesitant I have become about  sharing the details of my life with others. Yet, I do find comfort in discussing my struggles with close friends.  Am I losing something in the process?

“We very willingly talk and think of those things which we most love or desire or of those which we feel most troublesome unto us. But alas, oftentimes in vain, and to no end; for this outward comfort is the cause of no small loss of inward and divine consolation.” (The Imitations of Christ,  Thomas à Kempis)

Venting to others might release some pressure temporarily, thus giving us some much needed, outward comfort. Yet, it also curbs our yearning for inward, divine consolation. This detracts from spiritual growth, causing our souls to atrophy while enlarging our egos. Self-absorption can metastasize into self-worship, pushing God out of the picture.  

God wants to have a warm, intimate relationship with us, to constantly depend on Him. In order to do this, we have to turn inward, avoid pointless discussions, and ungodly habits. If we spend enough time in a state of intimate worship with God, our expressions will be influenced by Him. Then our speech will be edifying--uplifting those who are downcast, strengthening the weary, and enlightening those in darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment